[HECnet] New Face

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 15 15:29:00 PDT 2012

On 06/15/2012 10:25 AM, Joe Ferraro wrote:
Interesting that you think that the idea of a keyboard will even be a
reality in 10 years, glass, forcefield, or whatever... I would tend to
think that simple I/O would come from speech or another method.

  For some applications, like sending email or writing documents, sure,
but look at software development.   The idea of doing that via speech I/O
has been looked at and discarded twenty times over the past few decades.
There doesn't seem to be any practical way to do it, even with perfect
speech recognition.   Don't underestimate the amount of software
development going on in the world today...even if it becomes the last
bastion of keyboard use, in whatever form, that still means there will
be AN AWFUL AWFUL LOT of keyboards out there.

If the
industry does move toward glass screens, it'll be interesting to see how
long until ergonomic consideration circles back around... I can't see
"typing" on a flat desk, eight hours a day....

  Me neither.

I do like the forcefield idea...

  Me too. :)