[HECnet] New Face

Joe Ferraro jferraro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 15:25:46 PDT 2012

>> My opinions on keyboards for example have recently been ratified when
>> attempting to use the on-screen keyboard of an ipad.
>> And that's the future...
>
>   Well, one part of the future.   Keyboards aren't going away.   I suppose
> we'll see, but I'm willing to place a hefty bet on it.

The familiar layouts, perhaps not, but as a physical device with
switched real keys I think they will in the next 10 years (legacy
systems notwithstanding)

Companies are already working on prototype screens that provide
tactile feedback when you tap the keys on them. I anticipate glass
keyboards will begin to replace physical ones before long as they are
easier to produce than physical ones (no physical change required for
languages etc.). Eventually forcefields (you think I'm kidding,
right?) will replace the glass and they'll be nothing but a projection
in mid-air.

They'll still be QWERTY in 2050 though ;)

--

Mark Benson

Interesting that you think that the idea of a keyboard will even be a reality in 10 years, glass, forcefield, or whatever... I would tend to think that simple I/O would come from speech or another method. If the industry does move toward glass screens, it'll be interesting to see how long until ergonomic consideration circles back around... I can't see "typing" on a flat desk, eight hours a day....

I do like the forcefield idea...