[HECnet] netowrk flapping....

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Sat Jun 9 23:37:04 PDT 2012

With my connection, I noticed that the circuit would disconnect and
reconnect periodically. It corresponded to the timeout in my firewall
causing the UDP association to be lost. When I increased the timeout in
my firewall for these port 700 UDP "connections", that made my circuit
much more stable.

Unfortunately, my firewall (a SonicWALL NSA 240) is also stupid in that
it *must* randomize the source port for outgoing packets, so I'm not
able to connect to HECnet because MultiNet insists that the source port
must also be 700 and mine are coming through with random port numbers.

--Marc

IP and UDP is connection-less.. -:)

Throw the firewall away. Find a real router that can do DECnet routing
and NAT and Firewall somwhere. ..

We had this discussion at DCL, and Bob A has a home gw (forgot what it
was) that he claims do the right thing, (not decnet routing..)

-P