[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 7 23:56:37 PDT 2012

On 06/07/2012 01:12 PM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
Howabout starting it as a daemon (running as root) via the
boot scripts, and have non-root users's programs access it
via a socket?

Cool idea - you could even have multiple hosts connect this way
but export one DECNET endpoint, i.e. run CTERM on Box A whilst
FAL goes to Box B, and MAIL to Box C :)

Yes, you could multiplex/demultiplex it any way you wanted.   It
would open up all sorts of interesting configuration
possibilities.

... and all this without needing to dick with the kernel?

Sounds like a plan gentlemen, so now all we need is a long
suffering coder type to do all the hard work ;)

The main difference I can see vs. having the implementation in the
kernel is that the kernel one gives you an integrated API.
DecNET/Linux uses sockets, so an existing socket based app can be
made to run over DECnet with potentially very little work.   On the
other hand, a userland implementation would need a different
mechanism for the communication between the application and the
DECnet daemon.

  Hmm.   Suddenly that approach doesn't sound very appetizing. :-(