[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Jun 7 17:25:01 PDT 2012

On 6/6/2012 10:31 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 06/06/2012 10:11 PM, Joe Ferraro wrote:
This isn't the thread for it, I realize.... the product slick states
that the switch does BGP, HSRP, OSPF, VRRP, etc.. again, not my area of
expertise... is this still considered a switch?
    Hmm, it may actually be ok then.   I've not worked with any of the 49xx
series.   Supporting those dynamic routing protocols certainly suggests
that it knows how to route! ;)

    Hey Brian, have you ever worked with those hybrid router/switch boxen?

Ok, I stand somewhat corrected. IP SERVICES can do tunnels on switches. Interesting.

My 3560g can't do decnet routing, however. (not that i need it to)

Just FYI, the 4948 is a BAD ASS switch.

It's basically a single sup Cat 4500 with a single line card crammed into a 1U case.

When you say hybrid router/switch boxes your talking about the ISR stuff like George was talking about recently, yes?

I now have THREE of those in the forms of an 1811w, and 1841 and the recent acquisition of a 2851.

The ones George has are the bigger ones, the 3000 series I believe.

Interesting beasts.

-brian