[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Thu Jun 7 13:47:40 PDT 2012

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
Barcelona - Catalunya - Europa

El 07/06/2012, a les 14:23, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> va escriure:
On 2012-06-07 12:42, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 06/07/2012 06:37 AM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Howabout starting it as a daemon (running as root) via the boot
scripts, and have non-root users's programs access it via a
socket?

Cool idea - you could even have multiple hosts connect this way but
export one DECNET endpoint, i.e. run CTERM on Box A whilst FAL goes
to Box B, and MAIL to Box C :)

  Yes, you could multiplex/demultiplex it any way you wanted.   It would
open up all sorts of interesting configuration possibilities.

I think it would help if you actually explained a little more what you actually want to accomplish, and what you see as the problems...?

If I've understood it correctly, the idea is to replace the (dying) kernel support for DECNet under linux by userland code, so it the current module dies definitely due to kernel ABI changes we could still use decnet in the Linux boxes.

The process separation and distributed tasks are just a proposed improvement over the initial idea.

I'd add as an additional benefit that moving decnet out of the kernel would make possible to port it to other unix flavours, like the BSDs and Mac OSX.