[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 07:55:16 PDT 2012

On 7 Jun 2012, at 07:39, Dave McGuire wrote:

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure it can be done.   We need to change
the MAC address on the interface...can that be done outside the kernel?

SimH does it by building a virtual interface attached to the real ethernet device with it's own MAC address. While it can't communicate with TCP/IP on the same machine it works just fine for DECnet.

Would it work if you created a Sandbox with a virtual DEC network interface and modified MAC address then worked out from there?

SIMH uses libpcap and implements networking for emulated machines by
kicking the interface into promiscuous mode.   That's a bit dangerous
from a traffic perspective; I'm not certain that'd be a good idea for
anything other than the most casual use on a quiet network.

I think Johnny's bridge uses PCAP in promiscuous mode too and most of us use that and/or SimH.

Like I said it's not optimal, probably isn't secure and won't be that fast, but as a compromise it's worth thinking about, because the kernel based solution is not optimal either anymore, especially if like me you run up-to-date Linux machines.

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo