[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 7 06:46:03 PDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 08:51 PM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
By the way, as a warning... I seem to remember that DECnet support
now have been dropped from Linux. So it might not be in there
anymore, if you look at recent versions.

I've also had less than stellar results from trying to talk from
Linux to RSX. So it might not work absolutely right under all
conditions. Developers mostly (it not only) had VMS machines to
test against...

It's been some years ago, but I did a bunch of work to make it talk
well with RSTS/E.   And I thought others had done the RSX work.

  What work was this?   Right now file transfers are mostly
non-functional with RSTS/E...transfers complete successfully, but line
terminators are completely hosed, and no combination of command line
switches will make them work properly.

  Incidentally, I can use Linux DECnet support to get files over to a
VMS system, then copy them from THAT to RSTS/E via DECnet, and things
seem ok. (at least I think that worked, the last time I tried it)

I remember the rumor that it was dropped.   Too bad.   But there's no
reason the older version couldn't be used, unless your chosen
platform requires a later one.

  Having to keep another instance of Linux around just to "hop through"
is certainly doable, but kind of a pain. :-(