[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Joe Ferraro jferraro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 03:06:32 PDT 2012

Ah... I was told it was a "layer 4" switch, so I assumed it did some routing and something at layer 4 (firewall?!?!)... not familiar with the term, frankly...

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
On 06/06/2012 09:59 PM, Joe Ferraro wrote:
>         Most any Cisco router will do the trick, but the oldest you'd probably
>       want to use for something like this would be a 2500 series.   They can be
>       had all day long for $10-20/ea, they pull very little power, and their
>       software is...erm, "available" if you know what I mean.
>
> Just picked up a Catalyst 4948 (probably a bit overkill, but it was
> free)... not sure if I have the correct licenses... in any case, if
> anyone has a quick bit on setting this up, I, for one, would be
> interested...

  Um...that's a switch, not a router.   I'm almost positive this model
runs IOS, but as far as I'm aware it has no routing capabilities.

  But either way, free is good. :-)