[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 22:40:59 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-06 22:40, Rob Jarratt wrote:
It would be a fun exercise to turn the bridge into an actual DECnet router.
One day, when I have a lot of time I might even think about trying that.

Feel free. The specifications are out there, so it's definitely not an impossible task. But I guess it will take some work. It would be very nice if the bridge did turn into a WAN router...

	Johnny

DECnet Phase IV is pretty straightforward.   The specs are all out there.   And much of it is implemented in Linux, so you can find C sources ready to go...   Even if sample code only does L1 routing, you're nearly there because area routing is essentially the same thing done a second time on a second set of tables.

There may be mileage in building dedicated DECnet bridges/routers using RaspberryPi boards in a suitable case running a very cut-down Linux with an advanced version of the bridge? I am no programming wizard but I am good at compiling and testing stuff.

Would it require 2 Ethernet interfaces to work or would (like the bridge) just one work okay?

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo