[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Wed Jun 6 08:33:20 PDT 2012

The Cisco box can have several point-to-point connections. Each is
considered its own interface (well, circuit I'd guess, but possibly also
line) in DECnet on the Cisco box.

In DECnet on PTP links in the DECnet architecture, like DDCMP links,
the DECnet routing protocol is spoken using incrmental updates, this
is what I beleive hapens with Multinet on VMS.

When a DECnet node speaks routing on a ETHERNET segment, it basically
dumps a "routing vector" every 3 seconds, depending on if you are area
router or just routing-4 you send all areas or just you own.

A routing vector has the area id, and then indexed with node-numbers
are 16-bit cost+hops, where 0 represent not reachable....... So
2 bytes*1024 nodes.

The cisco implemenation uses the LAN format with some optimizing
kludge.

-P