[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 5 20:01:37 PDT 2012

On 06/05/2012 12:53 PM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
I assume you are using GRE on the Cisco box. I am not an expert in this
stuff so pardon the na  ve question but, what is it about Cisco that makes it
better than the bridge? After all aren't they really doing the same thing?

  They are practically indestructible, and many times there's already
one sitting there doing something else.

Is it just that you don   t need a server running the bridge (could use a
Raspberry Pi for that now) or is it the use of GRE? From a skim of RFC 2784
and 2890 GRE doesn't look too complicated, perhaps the bridge could be
changed to implement GRE if that helps in some way.

  Pretty much all OSs implement GRE natively nowadays; you can terminate
a GRE tunnel on most any modern OS regardless of what system is at the
other end.

I don't know much about "professional" routers and Cisco stuff in
particular. If there are advantages to using a Cisco router, what should I
be looking for if I wanted to pick up something cheap on EBay?

  Most any Cisco router will do the trick, but the oldest you'd probably
want to use for something like this would be a 2500 series.   They can be
had all day long for $10-20/ea, they pull very little power, and their
software is...erm, "available" if you know what I mean.

  There's a lot of Cisco expertise on this list; you'll have all the
help you need here should you decide to go that route.

Could this
work in a domestic environment with an ISP that gives out dynamic IP
addresses?

  Of course.