lunchbox VAXen, was Re: [HECnet] Introducing myself... and my little network

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Jun 8 12:32:04 PDT 2012

Lunchboxes! :-)   And there are images for new boot ROMs available for
those which will allow you to boot from the on-board SCSI host adapter,
which is relatively slow (NCR5380-based) but still less painful than
trying to find, and then afford to purchase, an RD54.

I think someone even wrote a driver for VMS to use disks on that
controller.   I have several of those machines; I really should look into
that.   Does anyone have any further information on, or actual copies of,
those boot ROMs and/or the VMS device driver?

That's a patch for VAX/VMS 5.5-2 called PK2KDRVR which Wolfgang Moeller wrote
be so much more useful if it could use SCSI disks. To his surprise, he found
there was very little interest in his solution. I was interested and I found
the patched driver worked well. I found I couldn't tell if it was slow or not
as the 2000 is so slow anyway! I never tried the patched boot ROMs as I boot
my 2000's from a 3100.

(How come I can remember this stuff and I have trouble remembering what
happened yesterday!)

Wolfgang also did patches for VS3100 boot ROMs which had problems booting
disks over 1GB in size.

I also have another patch he wrote which makes the floppy driver in a 2000
treat the drive as an RX23 instead of an RX33 making it possible for VMS to
correctly access 3.5in disks in a 2000.

I've put what I have on CEIRE::

(I can't find the original PK2KDRVR.ZIP so I've just zipped up the contents
of my PK2KDRVR directory which is likely what I got when I unzipped the
original zip file...)

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.