[HECnet] User mode DECnet (was Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::)

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jun 7 15:59:09 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-07 16:15, Bob Armstrong wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:
Are you actually talking now about implementing a DECnet stack on a machine
in user mode?
That is definitely not doable.

    Is that really true?   I don't believe it.   How about an Einstein style
"gedanken experiment" - put simh on a machine (which is an entirely user
mode program), load VMS on it.   Bingo - a user mode implementation of a
DECnet stack.

I was meaning as in non-root. Sigh. I don't know how I managed to screw up terminology that way...

    I don't mean this as a practical solution to DECnet on Linux, but it's
clearly possible to get all the Ethernet access you need to implement DECnet
in a user mode program.

    N.B.   "user mode" is not the same as "run as root".   Promiscuous mode
requires root privilege, but that's still a user mode program.

Correct. For some reason I screwed up at that point.