[HECnet] User mode DECnet (was Multinet Tunnel Connections to SG1::)

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Thu Jun 7 15:15:11 PDT 2012

Johnny Billquist wrote:
Are you actually talking now about implementing a DECnet stack on a machine
in user mode?
That is definitely not doable.

  Is that really true?   I don't believe it.   How about an Einstein style
"gedanken experiment" - put simh on a machine (which is an entirely user
mode program), load VMS on it.   Bingo - a user mode implementation of a
DECnet stack.

  I don't mean this as a practical solution to DECnet on Linux, but it's
clearly possible to get all the Ethernet access you need to implement DECnet
in a user mode program.

  N.B.   "user mode" is not the same as "run as root".   Promiscuous mode
requires root privilege, but that's still a user mode program.

Bob