[HECnet] Raspberry Pi + SIMH VAX?

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 23:13:42 PDT 2012

On 05/06/12 23:04, Mark Benson wrote:
On 5 Jun 2012, at 19:54, Dave McGuire wrote:

  UNIX "sucks" because you don't know how to use it, and its design
differs from the OS that you DO know how to use?   Interesting logic. ;)
*poke poke*
Nooow Dave, that kind of humour has gotten you into all sorts of trouble before on ClassicCMP ;) ;)

Besides, anyone who thinks I know how to use VMS is a moron, Im a total VMS noob. I know properly 10x about Linux what I do about VMS. That said there are plenty areas I've never had to deal with and mounting without root privileges is seemingly one of them. Thing is it 'just works' in RSX and VMS it 'just don't work' in Linux, at least at a prompt using the conventional tools.

  The specifics of how to accomplish this does, however, differ from
UNIX to UNIX.   Under any modern-ish Linux system for example, this is
done automatically upon device insertion by a combination of udev, dbus,
and gvfs.   It Just Works, I've done it five or six times since lunch
today.   Of course you have to be logged into a "desktop" session in
order for it to work, but 99% of the time, that's what's going on.
Yes. Same as it works just fine in Mac OS X (except when Apple's crummy USB drivers cause another kernel panic). I appreciate that, but because my SimH emulations don't need a GUI... I don't need a GUI. To me if it doesn't work at the command prompt it doesn't work full stop. Stuff that happens in GUIs is written for GUIs, I don't consider GUIs that are often tailored to each distro part of the GNU Linux or UNIX, they are an extra. I'm old fashioned, so sue me.

  If you want to do it a different way, say when nobody is logged in,
this is easily accomplished with a udev rule that matches the device
when it's inserted, and takes some action, in this case mounts the
filesystem.   If you need to do that, let me know, and I may be able to help.
What I need to do is type 'mount<device>   ~/usb' and have it work, without using sudo or su.

To my mind this is the equivalent of ALL DUA0: // MOU DUA0: MARKDISK1 MARK: in VMS... except you don't have top putz about in VMS, it just works.

That was my point, which in itself was kinda tongue-in-cheek anyway :)

Hey guys,

My email client has been slowly squirrelling HECnet emails away in a folder using a rule I set up and then forgot about since I got my shiny new iPad. Is there a cross platform way of achieving uniformity with this kind of thing using gmail hosted mail? Or do I need to configure each client. That'll be a PITA.

Anyway, I'm slowly catching up on the Raspberry Pi/SIMH thread. I had shipping notification yesterday, and this seems like an excellent use of the hardware. Glad to hear it's been an easy ride...

This is also mildly interesting: http://netbsd0.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/retrocomputing-with-vamp-stack-vax.html

Always good to see a VAXstation being put to good use.

Now, more importantly, when do we start on that multi-GHz nVAX FPGA implementation?

Regards,
Mark

p.s. Retrochallenge registration is open. It runs for the month of July. Would be great to see some entries from you guys.
http://retrochallenge.org

Regards, Mark

Mark Wickens
http://wickensonline.co.uk