[HECnet] Raspberry Pi + SIMH VAX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jun 5 16:34:54 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-05 16:50, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On Jun 5, 2012, at 5:29 AM, Mark Benson wrote:

I am looking at trying to mount an external hard drive or SSD to handle the disk images instead of the SD card. For some ^$%^$%   reason you can't mount a disk as a user in Linux (I might be missing something, admittedly) like you can in RSX and VMS (again, more demonstration that UNIX sucks ;)) so I have to futz about as root to do that.

You can set that to be allowed with the "user" option, see "man fstab".   It defaults to not allowed, which is the correct security answer.   (I would assume the same is true in DEC operating systems that have protection mechanisms... it certainly is in RSTS.)

Anyone can mount a disk in RSX, assuming you "own" the disk, which basically boils down to knowing the disk label, and have the owner field of the disk structure allowing you.
Same for tapes...

It works nothing like in Unix.