[HECnet] Speaking of IDLE

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jun 5 03:52:07 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-05 03:24, Steve Davidson wrote:
Paul,

I think that depends on whether or not the idle loop pattern (for the
console light display) is being used. The lights pattern most certainly
makes use of the WAIT instruction. The SJ monitor is a completely
different beast than FB and friends - no question about it!

Well, there are more ways to spin a cat... Or spin the lights in this
case. WAIT is one way to show something on the front panel. Loading the
display register is another.
RT-11 is in fact using the Switch Register at 177570 to display things
on the front panel.
Look at RMONFB.MAC, around line 4800, to see the code.
(Every time I read the RT-11 sources, I feel a little dirty... No
offense meant for the RT-11 fans around here or anywhere.)

It's all conditionalized on LIGH$T, and there is not even the option if
you are running the SJ monitor...

Aw, heck. I might as well post the code, since isn't that long...

====
3$:
.IF NE   LIGH$T
.ROM     DEC         LITECT,VALUE=1
              BNE         8$
              ADD         #512.,LITECT
4$:         ROL         7$
              BNE         5$
              COM         7$
5$:         BCC         6$
              ADD         #100,4$
              BIC         #200,4$
6$:         BIT         #LIGHT$,CONFG2
              BEQ         8$
              MOV         (PC)+,@(PC)+
7$:           .WORD   0,SR
.ENDC
8$:
..NULJ::
====

(And yes, SR is defined as 177570)

(And maybe you understand why I feel dirty when reading RT-11 after this fine example of code... It's cut-and-pasted right from the source, it really looks just like this.)