[HECnet] Speaking of IDLE

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon Jun 4 15:14:40 PDT 2012

On 6/4/2012 7:55 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 06/04/2012 07:52 AM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
Anyone know how it works? I'd really like to get it working on Solaris.
    You mean it doesn't?   I wonder why that would be.

/simh/rifter/vax.ini> set cpu idle=VMS
Command not allowed

    It detects the idle loop patterns in some OSs and throttles back the
simulator, so the host system isn't sitting there burning CPU to execute
the guest OS's idle loop.

Right, but I'm curious what it needs to know about the host OS to accomplish that.

I should look at the source but I'm not sure I'll know what I'm looking at. :)

-brian