[HECnet] 4000/90 help needed

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Wed Mar 28 10:38:48 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 05:34:07AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
I'm working with getting the 4000/90 up and running and I was
wondering if anyone had seen this behavior before.

Upon initial power up all the diag lights are lit and nothing ever
happens. If I quickly flip the power switch off and on it then comes
up normally.

This happens every time it's powered on cold. Once it's on as long
as I only ever quickly flick the power switch off and on it works
fine.

Thoughts?

Incidentally, Holm Tilfe over att cctech@ had a similar problem.

His problem description:

The Machine doesn't start properly if it is switched on, the LEDs are
all stuck on (0xff). If I switch it off then and on again in a short
time, it starts up properly, is doing the diagnostics and tries to
boot an (defective?) NetBSD 1.1 that is loading the kernel but is
getting then in a ?54 RETRY loop.

His solution was as follows:

Ok, answering myself: Yes this error is already known, found a thread
in comp.sys.dec. The cause ist an empty lithium cell in the DS1287A
RTC.   Used a proxxon grindng tool and grinded the IC housing of,
replaced the empty cell (1,07V) with an soldered on CR2016. Works now.
The RTC was unable to remember the "set bootdev dka0" over a
powercycle.

Hope it helps,
Pontus