[HECnet] intro

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Mar 17 01:14:10 PDT 2012

  Hi folks!   I think I'm acquainted with some of you, but for those who don't know me from other places, my name is Dave McGuire, and I'm a DECaholic. =)   I'm a DEC hack from way back, having cut my teeth on a PDP-11/34a running RSX-11M and later RSTS/E almost thirty years ago. Years ago I was a commercial VMS sysadmin.   PDP-11s and RSTS/E are my biggest passions, but I'm basically a fan of most things DEC.   For a living, I'm an embedded systems developer; I design hardware and write firmware.

  I recently acquired a commercial building near Pittsburgh, and am slowly constructing a "living" computer museum here.   I'm working on the nonprofit paperwork now, and hope to have it open to the public in a year or so.   I have lots of fun hardware here; several PDP-8s, countless PDP-11s and VAXen, two PDP-10s, some big IBM iron, several Cray supercomputers, and many more.   Many of them are functional, more every day as I get more "oscilloscope time".

  Brian Hechinger and Sridhar Ayengar are old friends of mine, and they've mentioned HECnet to me several times over the years, but now it's time.   I have a Cisco 7206VXR with DECnet enabled, Brian helped me out by allocating area #61, and I'm running two DECnet-connected machines 24x7: my desktop machine running Linux and an AlphaServer DS10L running VMS.   I run other machines as time permits.

  So...Can I play too? :-)