[HECnet] Area 11 going offline for sometime

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 28 09:01:03 PST 2012

On 11/28/2012 10:28 AM, Gregg Levine wrote:
How big is a PDP 11/24, physically?

I'm not exactly sure, I only saw one for a few minutes, and that was
about twenty years ago. I believe about the size of a good sized
kitchen table. And about fridge sized. (Refrigerator to all of you.)

  This really depends on what you mean by "PDP-11/24".   The processor
chassis is quite small (in PDP-11 terms), either a 3U or 6U rackmount
box.   When built into a *system*, with drives and what not...it will be
larger of course.   The largest "factory" 11/24 system I've seen was two
short racks, not much to it.

  The 11/24 is a very late-model PDP-11, based on the F-11 chip, same as
the 11/23.   Not fast, but low power consumption and pretty reliable.

Dave this is the fault of a big brown fellow watching you.

  They allllways do. :-(