[HECnet] PDP-11/24

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Wed Nov 28 10:21:31 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Dave McGuire
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:01
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Area 11 going offline for sometime

On 11/28/2012 10:28 AM, Gregg Levine wrote:
How big is a PDP 11/24, physically?

I'm not exactly sure, I only saw one for a few minutes, and
that was
about twenty years ago. I believe about the size of a good sized
kitchen table. And about fridge sized. (Refrigerator to all of you.)

  This really depends on what you mean by "PDP-11/24".   The
processor chassis is quite small (in PDP-11 terms), either a
3U or 6U rack mount box.   When built into a *system*, with
drives and what not...it will be larger of course.   The
largest "factory" 11/24 system I've seen was two short racks,
not much to it.

  The 11/24 is a very late-model PDP-11, based on the F-11
chip, same as the 11/23.   Not fast, but low power consumption
and pretty reliable.

Dave this is the fault of a big brown fellow watching you.

  They allllways do. :-(

The 11/24 is a PDP-11/23+ on the UNIBUS.   It can accommodate the FPU
(chip or board) and the CIS chipset.   The size of the unit varies.   The
largest front panel is 1 DEC system unit (10.5 inches tall) that fits in
a 19 inch rack.   I managed one of these (a long time ago) that ran
RSX-11M with LDP gear.   It also ran RTEM-11 (RT-11 Emulator), when I
supported RT-11 at DEC Software Services.   Several users could work on
RTEM-11 at the same time as the LDP hardware was being used.   The system
never missed a beat!   Oh...   The entire system ran on two (2) RL02's!!!

-Steve