[HECnet] digest mode for list

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Nov 1 13:51:18 PDT 2012

On 11/01/2012 02:08 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
We could also set up a little UUCP and NNTP on UNIX VMs network ;) link them together with simh's serial line emulation and simulate modems...unless we do KERMIT crontabs.
I still like the idea of UUCP / POTS links. IIRC, Sampsa or Steve had something going along these lines a while back. Not sure if it ever got off the ground?!?

I would attempt this if I had modems that weren't just soft modems. Might be able to use them if any of you know of any nice software for use on a BSD with them.

Update: I have 2 modems to try from that I can find
1). A winmodem
2). A Conexant HSF modem

   who thinks I can get one of these working in MS-DOS? MS-DOS on a HT P4 with 1G RAM anyone?
I know it's not a UNIX   but maybe the driver will show me a serial port I can attach a simulator to?

  Toss the Windmodems in the trash...that'd be a good start.

  Then grab any and all Telebit Trailblazer-family modems you can find.
They spoof parts of the UUCP protocol within the modem, which makes for
VERY nice UUCP-based newsfeeds.