[HECnet] RSTS/E + DECNET 4.1

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Tue Oct 30 22:13:10 PDT 2012

From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>

JOHN!   You're alive!   How have you been?

Totally sidetracked with scatterbrained hardware projects!
(Anyone who hasn't at least *looked* at the XMOS XS1 microcontroller
has been WASTING THEIR LIFE!   They are exceedingly cool, and perfect
for bit-banging weird things like old DEC busses.)   Clearly I've been
missing a lot of fun HECnet chatter.   How's life with you?

I'm just accustomed to RSTS/E and RSX-11M, "big" OSs.   Little ones don't
really do much for me.   That's all.

Actually I have the same bias, so adjusting to RT after an earlier RSTS life
was a shock, but the way the tiny pieces fit together is really beautiful.
.READC/.WRITC and .SPND/.RSUM are trivially simple but getting the same
functionality on a supposedly "modern" OS is such a pain...

John Wilson
D Bit