[HECnet] RSTS/E + DECNET 4.1

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 30 13:34:57 PDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 01:36 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I would kill for a VT180, I don't know why I like CP/M machines
but that would just make such an awesome OPA0 for CHIMPY

I'm kinda shocked to see that you wouldn't be able to run NetBSD
/on/ a VT180 ;)

Z80...no MMU, 16-bit address space

Ah, right. I keep forgetting how old the Z80 actually is   and the fact
it doesn't offer too much in the way of anything beyond small
embedded stuff now.

  And lots of VERY enjoyable retrocomputing.

Hmmm, I've been reminded of that project someone accomplished once:
simh + a phone + a vt100. But instead someone could go: simh +
raspberry pi + VT180 ;). Hide the pi within the cabinet, implement a
little piece of software to go between simh and a real serial
interface (or can simh interface directly now?) and run VMS "in" a
VT180.

  That's certainly doable.   With most any of the VT family, I'd say.

Was CP/M in ROM on the VT180?

Nope, booted from 5.25" floppy from an RX180 disk subsystem.
You'll be able to see one when you come visit, though I can't find
the floppy cable.

Aww, shame you can't find the cable. :(

  Yeah.   I have the pinout, and it's DC37<->DC37, which I should have
some of somewhere, so I will make one if it comes down to that.