[HECnet] DECnet compatibility update

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:38:37 PDT 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:12:05 +0000 (WET), you wrote:

VAX/VMS V5.5-2 does not have the /APPLICATION qualifier to SET HOST so
outgoing RTERM connections are not possible from it.

I'd like to add my two cents. :)

| Password:
|                 Welcome to VAX/VMS version V4.7 on node FLORRY
|         Last interactive login on Sunday, 28-OCT-2012 13:56
|         Last non-interactive login on Sunday,   8-JAN-2012 09:19
| $ set host rsts
| %REM-I-REMOTE, connection established to remote node RSTS::
| RSTS V10.1-L 31-Oct-12 05:05 PM
| User:

I think that VAX/VMS V4.7 does first try with CTERM and then, upon receiving
no answer (i.e. receiving a disconnect with a "unrecognized object" reason),
it falls back to RTERM. Actually there is a noticeable delay while it does try
both protocols. Once connected, you can tell which protocol it's using because
if you hit CTRL/P you get a RTERM specific prompt that does not appear when
you are in a CTERM session. On the other hand, CTRL/Y works only with CTERM.

|               Valid commands:
|
| ^x                 Send a CTRL/x to remote node
| CO[NTINUE] Return to terminal mode
| CL[OSE]       Close any logging file
| CT[RL/P]     Send a CTRL/P to remote node
| EX[IT]         Exit remote terminal session
| HE[LP]         Type this help message
| LO[G] file Create and use the logging file
| NO[RMAL]     Restore NORMAL mode
| OD[T]           Enter ODT mode
|_FLORRY::REM>

HTH, :)