rebuild RSTS/E monitor, was Re: [HECnet] RSTS/E 10.1 and OpenVMS via DECnet

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Oct 28 16:20:56 PDT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 7:18 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 10/28/2012 07:16 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I have never in my life installed a pre-built monitor.   I suspect
what's going on here is that, when installing the pre-built monitor, the
sysgen components (contents of sysgen$:) might not get installed.

I will verify this here and get back to you shortly.

Yep, that was it.

Wow.

Re-run your installl and select 'A', to build a monitor at
installation time.   Then you should see more stuff when you do "dir
sysgen$:".   (and more importantly "run sysgen$:sysgen" ;))

That is really. really weird. I can't see the reasoning behind not installing the utils if you use a prebuilt monitor.

I think it's done with "turnkey" systems in mind.

Ah, that could explain it. Still seems a bit weird to me though.