rebuild RSTS/E monitor, was Re: [HECnet] RSTS/E 10.1 and OpenVMS via DECnet

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Oct 28 15:45:12 PDT 2012

On 10/28/2012 06:41 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I must be terrible at installing RSTS/E, used TQ, and
post-install I still can't run sysgen ;) (yeah, I know I could've
generated it from the installer but that's not the point).

Define "can't run sysgen". ;)   What's happening?   Same problem?

Yeah, same problem, is there a layered product i'm forgetting or a
post-reboot login configuration step?

Happen to have a pre-built rsts/e disk around? I seem to be
terrible at installing it myself.

I'll make one up for you.   But first, let's try to figure out
what's going wrong.

I'm installing everything that it asks to install and it copies
everything to disk, so I must be forgetting a step outside of the
installer. There's a sysgen.sil in [0,1]   but that doesn't seem to be
a recognised executable.

  This is very weird.   Accepting defaults for everything, and installing
everything, I can run a sysgen on a clean, just-installed system.   What
could possibly be different here?

  I'm going to run through it again here.

  About sysgen.sil; that's a SIL, Saved Image Library.   That's the
format monitors are saved in; you don't execute those under RSTS directly.