[HECnet] RSTS/E 10.1 and OpenVMS via DECnet

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Oct 28 10:18:24 PDT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 12:03 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On Oct 28, 2012, at 9:48 AM, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:

On 27 Oct 2012, at 21:19, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On Oct 27, 2012, at 2:06 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 10/27/2012 03:57 AM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
That reminds me, if someone has a turnkey RSX or RSTS box around
(that I could just plug in to SIMH and play with), ideally with
DECNET support, please let me know.

If you can't find one, I can make a RSTS image up for you. (I've never
done DECnet under RSX, so that'd take me awhile to figure out)

Which version of RSTS? I can give my disk image for my install of 10.1 if anyone wants to try and figure out what I did wrong or wants to make it in to a turnkey install   it's pretty basic as i'm new to RSTS. (it has DECmail though)

I'm cool with RSTS - whatever version is fine.

Try http://gewt.net/rsts.7z

It's RSTS/E v10.1 (so DCL OOTB), DECnet is installed but misconfigured, if you figure it out let me know.   Also if you figure out how to rebuild the monitor   let me know.   A config is included in the archive that you'll want to modify a bit. I know the disk image says "v92" but trust me, it's 10.1.

Password for 1,2 is "epicfail" (don't ask)

It seems to not want to boot in simh git, but works in 3.8 and 3.9. (git may've been updated since I last tried, I should rebuild with debugging symbols and try and find the bug if it wasn't just me messing up).

DECmail is also installed but not configured. And I may've just figured out why DECnet wasn't working, I'm going to go read the documentation and post back.

Okay, I've   maybe made progress.

Alpha connecting to the RSTS/E system:
$ set host 33.301
%SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node

And on 33.301:
Event type 34.1, Object spawn failure
Occurred 15-Oct-25 13:11:52.6 on node 33.301 (GEWT1)
Reason: Unknown Object identification
Source node = 33.302
Source process = 0 556 0 SYSTEM
Destination process = 42

(I have no idea what's with the 15-OCT-25, the date is set correctly on the system   )

Attempting to reach 33.302 from 33.301:
$ set host 33.302
Connection Established to VAX/VMS Node 33.302

?Unsupported Virtual Terminal Protocol.

And it just times out when the VAX tries to contact the RSTS/E system/RSTS/E system tries to contact the VAX. VAX and ALPHA can reach each other and the Alpha can reach HECnet via the VAX

Any ideas?

If I've made a terrible example for a turnkey install tell me so I can try again.

Sampsa

PS: I will plague people with noob questions..

If you get good answers, let me know.