[HECnet] TOPS-20 terminal and escape sequences

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Mon Oct 29 13:07:13 PDT 2012

Now that there is some TOPS-20 chatter in the list, I have a question for the experts...

My VAXen have ANNOUNCE banners with escape sequences so the screen gets erased, some text gets highlighted, some other gets reversed and so on. I have tried to do a similar banner for my TOPS20 system, but the <ESC> characters don't get to the terminal. It is like the terminal driver cleans up the stream somehow:

@type announce.txt
[2J[0;0H[1m                         HECNet - The Hobbyist DECnet network
[7;1m
[27m

That is just the beginnign of the banner, but you can get the idea. The question is:

Is there any way to configure the terminal driver so the <ESC> don't get cleared?

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name

HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES