[HECnet] DECnet on 4.3BSD/TOPS-20 and other questions

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Oct 24 01:37:18 PDT 2012

On Oct 23, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 10/23/2012 06:55 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On-topic, if you're hurting for VAXen, I can free up a 4000-series
machine.

Mmm, I think i'd do better here than finding a VAX on ebay,

There are more VAXen here than on eBay. ;)

which 4000-series model in particular?

I have...many.   I'll have to check to be more specific.   I also have
several desktop VAXen, like 3100 series machines.   I have some 4000/60s
and 4000/90s, but I'll be hanging onto those.

Also do you happen to have drives
for one? All I have spare are some 16G 5.25" SCA SCSI drives +
adapters for fast SCSI.   Also, if you happen to have any adapters for
MMJ as I don't have any real terminals, that'd be nice, too.

Well these would generally use DSSI drives, unless you can score a
Qbus SCSI host adapter.   I might be able to free up one DSSI drive, but
that'd cost you...they're drying up fast, and I've got machines to keep
running.

I might be able to find a Qbus SCSI host adapter, but I those seem to run quite a bit on ebay, but I have other resources (that don't seem to have anything DEC   )

I think it'd be cheaper for me to find some DSSI drives. (Or add a DSSI <-----> SCSI adapter in to the mix   )

Think I could make a VAX work with iSCSI? ;)

I can spare you an MMJ adapter or two.

Off toppic, and off the top of my head, probably   a dozen racks'
worth of comparatively recent Sun hardware.   And Crays.   These
would involve some serious swappage, though.

Have any pentium-era systems? I need something to run Slackware 4.0
on   for openlook.

Maybe, but I've never been much into PC hardware...200+ machines here
and maybe six of them are PCs.   We'll see what we can dig up, though.
Clean out your car and pick a weekend, man!   (or a weekday..)   My lady's
a chef; I'll sweet-talk her into whipping us up something tasty.

Would be easier on a weekend due to my eyesight making me unable to drive, so i'd need someone to drive me there. Although I have a few friends a little ways from Pittsburgh who might be able to help in some way. Me getting there directly is a bit challenging, both due to my eyesight and possibly being the youngest here ;).

(You have no idea how hard it is to get this working
in a VM   ).

Oh yes I do. ;) I virtualized a gaggle of SCO OpenServer machines for
a customer about two years ago, using VMware.   Oh man that was a
mess...VMware was the only virtualization platform that would work, and
even that took some doing.   They're all still running, though, but now
on VERY different hardware. :-)

At least it's not Hyper-V   I couldn't get anything to run in Hyper-V   save for windows. And not even NT 4!