[HECnet] DECnet on 4.3BSD/TOPS-20 and other questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 23 23:23:03 PDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 01:46 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Also, it's probably better I mention connecting here so all the crazy
solutions get mentioned. Dynamic IP, located in Ohio, US. I have
several spare UNIX systems to run a bridge on, and I would prefer to
get several systems connected (what area should I use? I'll get back
with node names   once I figure out how to change them in RSTS/E and
TOPS-20) I'm not very good with using emacs, maybe I should just
stick with a more basic editor. Or find a better terminal emulator   I
don't have any real DEC terminals or any real DEC hardware   yet.

  Where in Ohio?   I'm in western PA, just a hair northeast of Pittsburgh.

Near Columbus.

  Ahh ok, so 3-3.5hrs out.   Not too bad.

  I can hook you up with some hardware.   I have, erm, a bit of a surplus
at the moment.

What do you have as surplus?

  Good heavens, that's a loaded question. ;)

  On-topic, if you're hurting for VAXen, I can free up a 4000-series machine.

  Off toppic, and off the top of my head, probably   a dozen racks' worth of comparatively recent Sun hardware.   And Crays.   These would involve some serious swappage, though.