[HECnet] decnet known area/nodes from SIMH instance

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Thu Sep 20 16:32:10 PDT 2012

Bit of a puzzler here, but it'll probably turn out to be my configuration.
When the SIMH VAX/VMS 7.3 instance SIMVAX is serving hecnet.eu I get the
following area/node stats reported:

Known Area Volatile Summary as of 20-SEP-2012 11:53:22
  Area       State                   Circuit                     Next node to area
  4             reachable             QNA-0                             0 (SIMVAX)

Perhaps SIMVAX cannot see any DECnet routers and is only declaring area 4
to be reachable because it is in area 4 itself?

Known Node Volatile Summary as of 20-SEP-2012 11:53:37
Executor node = 4.248 (SIMVAX)
State                                       = on
Identification                     = DECnet for OpenVMS VAX V7.3
      Node                     State           Active   Delay     Circuit         Next node
                                                          Links
1.1 (MAGICA)                                                                 QNA-0                   0
1.2 (ERNIE)                                                                   QNA-0                   0
1.3 (FNATTE)                                                                 QNA-0                   0
1.4 (GOBLIN)                                                                 QNA-0                   0
1.5 (ZEKE)                                                                     QNA-0                   0
1.6 (GNOME)                                                                   QNA-0                   0
1.7 (BJARNE)                                                                 QNA-0                   0
1.8 (KRILLE)                                                                 QNA-0                   0

So only my area known, and weird stats for nodes. Can anyone tell me
what is up with my configuration?
I'm running Johnny's bridge and if I bring up SLAVE, the AlphaServer
1000A, on the same area it reports all stats correctly. SIMVAX is
currently unable to see MIM. I set it up as a non-routing node. When I
tried setting it up via NETCONFIG as a routing
node I get everything unreachable.

Are you running SIMH and the bridge on the same machine?

I only ask because I find when I run SIMH on VMS, the simulated machine cannot
communicate directly with the host machine but can communicate with other
machines on the network. This might not apply in the case of whatever host OS
you are using to run SIMH on but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

If this is the problem, try bringing up SIMVAX and SLAVE at the same time. They
should be able to see each other.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.