[HECnet] SIMH IDLE (again)

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Thu Sep 20 00:25:52 PDT 2012

I would also like to run multible instances of simh. This works fine for me as
long as only one of them tries to do networking. Once I attempt to start
networking on a second instance, the networking on the first instance stops
working. This makes it difficult to run a vaxcluster on my alpha :-(

How are the simh instances sharing the Ethernet interface?

I don't really know. It appears a new EWA pseudodevice is created for each
instance. However, PCAP-VMS seems to require the pseudodevice to be in
promiscuous mode and I suspect that this is only allowed for one of them.

It's not clear to me whether networking is even supposed to work for multiple
instances. I should try installing an extra ethernet adapter and see
if that allows it to work.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.