[HECnet] SIMH IDLE (again)

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Sun Sep 16 19:23:38 PDT 2012

Ok, I got my main server rebuilt and so it's time to run some simh for
testing (particularly the new user mode routing stuff).

However, I'm still fighting this:

wonko at zaphod$ BIN/vax

VAX simulator V3.9-0
sim> set cpu idle
Command not allowed
sim> set cpu idle=VAX
Invalid argument
sim>

I'd really like for IDLE to work so I can run several copies of simh
without nuking my CPUs.

Thoughts?

I'm running the same version of simh under Alpha VMS 8.2 on an Alphaserver 800
and Alpha VMS 7.3-1 on an Alphaserver 1000A.

set cpu idle works fine for me (however, set cpu idle=VAX is not correct - it
should be set cpu idle=VMS).

$ run [-.bin]VAX-AXP-NOASYNCH

VAX simulator V3.9-0
sim> show cpu
CPU, idle disabled, 16MB, HALT to SIMH
sim> set cpu idle
sim> show cpu
CPU, idle=VMS, idle enabled, stability wait = 20s, 16MB, HALT to SIMH
sim> set cpu idle=vms
sim> show cpu
CPU, idle=VMS, idle enabled, stability wait = 20s, 16MB, HALT to SIMH
sim>

Perhaps there is a host platform specific problem with set cpu idle?

I would also like to run multible instances of simh. This works fine for me as
long as only one of them tries to do networking. Once I attempt to start
networking on a second instance, the networking on the first instance stops
working. This makes it difficult to run a vaxcluster on my alpha :-(

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.