[HECnet] DECserver 200/MC - Worth a Punt?

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 18 20:20:34 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE]
On Behalf Of Mark Wickens
Sent: 18 September 2012 20:02
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] DECserver 200/MC - Worth a Punt?

On 18/09/12 19:28, Rob Jarratt wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-
hecnet at Update.UU.SE]
On Behalf Of Mark Wickens
Sent: 18 September 2012 18:14
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE

On 17/09/12 22:29, Dan Williams wrote:
Hi,

So I bought it, as Mark had found another one.   Only thing is it
doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone got any experience with these. I have found a few manuals
online but they all refer to a Technical Manual which I can't find
anywhere.

It starts up with just the Power light on, the 2nd Light does not
come on, which is supposed to indicate self test is OK. The network
light flashes with network activity.
I have a had a cursory glance inside. Everything is connected,
nothing blown up or melted.
There is nothing at all on the 1st serial port. I've tried resetting
to defaults with the reset button and nothing. The guy I got it from
said it was working when powered down.

Anyone got any clues ?
Blimey, there hasn't been much luck with DECservers lately!!!
I have 900 but that's serious overkill for most people.

Good luck!

Mark.
900 DECServers? Where do you put them all? :-)

Rob

Sorry, that should have said I have *a* 900, 32 port jobby with dechub one
power supply.
In fact I think I might have two...
Never thought I'd get to the stage when I can't remember what's stashed
away!

I also have some DEC managed 100MB switches which I haven't looked at.

Mark.

I guessed that was the case, but it just looked odd so I couldn't resist....

I didn't know there were 100MBit switches, what are they called so I can
find out something about them?
I have some DECrepeaters which I think are 10Mbit and a DEChub 90 to put
them all into too.

Regards

Rob