[HECnet] Slightly OT - How to concatenate multi line strings in DEC COBOL

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 12:01:50 PDT 2012

On 13/09/12 01:33, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:
It should be no problem. All the DEC compilers share a common ABI (VMS calling and condition handling standard). There is a manual in the "gray wall" just about that. I can't search for it now, but iirc the title is easy to pick up.

Basic summary: scalars are passed by reference, strings are passed by descriptor address. VMS C provides macros to build and manage descriptors (the ASCIZ convention is fortunately not used).

The HP OpenVMS Calling Standard manual I think is what you are referring to.
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to help Sampsa much - I had a quick flick through and it's all low level detail, it doesn't contain any examples of calling one language from another. More of a specification of the interface for new language implementations.

Mark

--
http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
http://declegacy.org.uk