[HECnet] Cluster problem - %SYSINIT-E, error mounting system device, status = 0072832C

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Thu Apr 25 12:06:29 PDT 2013

"Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at TMESIS.COM> writes:

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

I've somehow managed to screw up the boot node of HILANT, basically =
KUHAVX will boot fine by itself (VAXCLUSTER set to 0) but when I try to =
boot it as the boot node for the cluster I get this error:

%SYSINIT-E, error mounting system device, status =3D 0072832C

Any ideas?

$ EXIT %X0072832C
%MOUNT-F-DIFVOLMNT, different volume already mounted on this device

You have the system disk mounted elsewhere in the cluster.

Go to one of the other members:

$ MCR SYSMAN
SYSMAN> SET ENVIRONMENT/CLUSTER
SYSMAN> DO DISMOUNT/OVER=CHECK <the-volume-designation>

FYI, when in doubt, $ HELP/MESSAGE can be your friend too:

$ HELP/MESSAGE DIFVOLMNT

... or ...

$ HELP/MESSAGE/STATUS=%x0072832C

Both will return:

DIFVOLMNT,   different volume already mounted on this device

  Facility:         MOUNT, Mount Utility

  Explanation:   Previously, a different volume was mounted on this device
                              on another node in the cluster. The device may be in mount
                              verification on the other node. Either the original volume
                              was removed from the device and replaced with another, or its
                              volume identification was overwritten.

  User Action:   Restore the previously mounted volume to the device. If
                              this is not possible, dismount the device on all nodes that
                              currently have it mounted. Then retry the mount operation.

All those good people, now made redundant by HP, in the VMS documentation
department didn't write all this stuff simply because they couldn't get a
book published in the boof-of-the-month club. ;)

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG