[HECnet] DECnet Phase I

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Fri Apr 19 21:34:40 PDT 2013

Did they call ANF-10 DECnet phase 1?

-P

For historical amusement...

In reading the Phase II NSP spec, I spotted a summary of how that differs f=
rom Phase I.   I've never seen any Phase I documents (perhaps no formal docu=
ments ever existed?).   From the discussion in the Phase II spec, it's clear=
that Phase I is quite a different protocol.   Phase II through IV are all v=
ery closely related, especially at layer 4 and above.   Not so Phase I -- it=
would be quite difficult (at best) to make an NSP implementation that coul=
d speak both Phase I and Phase II.   I don't see any signs that this was eve=
r done.   For example, there is no "how to interoperate with the previous ve=
rsion" chapter in the Phase II spec -- unlike the Phase III and IV specs.

	paul