[HECnet] punched tape

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 20 15:37:07 PDT 2013

On 04/20/2013 08:40 AM, Brett Bump wrote:
Oooold people. ;-)   I was still in high school at that time.   My introduction
to a paper-tape device came about 4 years later (in college) when my physics
prof and I put together a Heathkit H-11 (PDP-11/03 really) that had the
nastiest paper-tape device ever created by man.   I think we could get it to
load maybe 1 time out of 20. We then got the 8 inch floppy drive functional
and I think the paper-tape device was relagated to the trash heap.

  Ah, bet he's kickin' himself now!   I'd easily drop $1K for one of those,
and the few that have hit the market recently have gone for more than that.

The 8-inch
floppy drives ran the Heath branded RT-11 V02.

  Ahh, the Heath BASTARDIZED RT-11. ;)

About a year later was when our resident math guru (Name Drop) Keith Olson
moved to Montana and handed us the keys to the PDP-11/20. We actually USED
the paper-tape device on that machine (because it REALLY worked).   I loved
making my assembler students load an absolute loader, EDIT-11, MARCO-11,
LINK-11 and have them paper-tape punch out ONE of their project, if for no
other reason then to show them how nice having a disk operating system was.
I still have digital copies of the DEC paper-tape software,

  Neat!

but sadly after I
left the college, I was told the paper-tape was tossed in the trash and the
PDP-11's (11/20, 2 11/45's and a 11/70) were disected for the cabinets and
power distribution supplies (sad).

  SUITS!