[HECnet] punched tape

Lee Gleason lee.gleason at comcast.net
Fri Apr 19 21:21:47 PDT 2013

Yah, it was 6 bit tape for text preparation, with 8 bit tape used for programming & setup of the phototypesetters. Meant a lot of messing around with the tape readers, since one width of tape expected the feed holes to align with the center of the data holes, and the other width expected the feed holes to align with the leading edge of the data holes.

Speaking of Flexowriters, we had one of those for doing commercial mass mailings that looked typewritten - I still have one of the 576 bit core memories it used. Each   memory board was about 8X11 inches. The individuals cores are really big on these boards.

Good times...when you weren't dozens of levels removed from the actual physic of computation.
--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants
lee.gleason at comcast.net