[HECnet] punched tape

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Fri Apr 19 17:44:38 PDT 2013

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Paul_Koning wrote:

On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:32 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

IBM made me do it!

Speaking of IBM...what'd be the maximum storage capacity of a punched card?   I was thinking of TCP/IP over paper tape last night...

I sense an april 1 RFC here...   :-)

Maybe!   I could always make it IPoPC/ACR (IP over Punched Card/Avian-Carrier relay)

Classic 80 column punched card: 120 bytes if punched in unrestricted "column binary", 80 byte if punched in extended EBCDIC code (as on the IBM 360 green card) where only one of rows 1-7 is punched per column.

Hmm.   It would be rather slow on real hardware, but it seems like it might be doable to "network" older systems. ;)

	paul

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff