[HECnet] VAX/VMS 1.50

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Apr 6 21:26:46 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-06 22:11, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On 04/05/2013 09:40 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

Afternoon all,

I managed to get this to boot in SIMH with minimal effort.   (Started
from
VMS 3.x and then installed 1.5 with a bunch of devices disabled)

sim> b rp2

    VAX/VMS Version 1.50 12-APR-1979 09:30

PLEASE ENTER DATE AND TIME (DD-MMM-YYYY   HH:MM)   04-APR-2013 14:39
      OPCOM,   4-APR-2013 14:39:06.22, LOGFILE INITIALIZED, OPERATOR=_OPA0:

$ !
$ ! VAX/VMS system startup - Release 1
$ !
$ SHOW TIME
      4-APR-2013 14:39:06
$ SET NOVERIFY
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, CONSOLE           mounted on _DXA1:
    Login quotas - Interactive limit=64, Current interactive value=0
    SYSTEM             job terminated at   4-APR-2013 14:39:06.49

    Accounting information:
    Buffered I/O count:                   139           Peak working set size:       98
    Direct I/O count:                         38           Peak virtual size:             110
    Page faults:                                 287           Mounted volumes:                     1
    Elapsed CPU time:         0 00:00:00.12     Elapsed time:         0 00:00:00.26
Username: SYSTEM
Password:
                Welcome to VAX/VMS Version 1.50

$ sh network

                                NETWORK UNAVAILABLE

What kind of networking could I get working on this?   Pre-Phase-IV
using a
device SIMH doesn't have emulation support for? ;)

I can upload this disk image if anyone wants it.

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff

Hello!
Cory, yet another strange suggestion, what was your original host for
your image? Obviously SIMH for VAX but what was it running on? I was
thinking of your project a while back of running SIMH for VAX on an
RPI itself wearing a not updated release of Linux for it, and then
connected via a serial physical connection to one of your terminals.

SIMH instance on Pi using DZ attached to /dev/ttyUSB0 -> DECserver ->
VT420.

Now, that I didn't get at all.
Why do you go to a DECserver to get to a terminal? It's already a serial port when you get out from the Pi. The DECserver looks like a really redundant piece of equipment in this equation.

I would either connect the VT420 to the USB serial port, or else use LAT between the DECserver and the simh instance.

However, it is nice that simh now can associate a physical serial port with a simulated one. How transparent is it? I mean, can you change the speed of the physical serial port by doing the programming of the simulated one?