[HECnet] VAX/VMS 1.50

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Apr 5 03:18:38 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-05 04:10, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 04/04/2013 10:01 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Apparently not. The reason I came up with the device is that I used a
PDP 11/40 with a DU11 to connect to a Burroughs B7700 using an RJE
like
protocol. It was called SYSTEM/SATCOM IIRC. The PDP ran RT-11 V4.
Other
than that, networks were built using 1200 baud modems on serial lines.
No DMF32 nor DZ11 in '79. How did one connect all those VT52's and
LA36's, via a DL11?

I thought DZ11s were around back then.   But if not, the DH11 sure
was, 16
lines, DMA output.

    Pretty sure they had DMA input too.

Nope. DMA output only.

    Crap, really?

Yup. However, it at least have a decent input buffer, so with some good programming you don't need to have one interrupt per character, when things are getting bogged down.

But that's for terminals up to 9600 baud.

    19.2K.

Not the original DH-11. 9600 was the highest, unless you count the
external clock ability they have.

    Mine was a DH-11AD, and it definitely went to 19.2K.

I think you need to refresh your memory... :-)
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/unibus/EK-0DH11-MM-003_Apr75.pdf

But they DH-11 is way better than a DZ-11. The only problem being (as
mentioned), they were big. A whole 9-slot backplane for one controller.

    Yes.   I had one on my 11/34a years ago; it was in an external
expansion chassis.   I did love that mux, though!   I got one again a
couple of years ago, not sure which machine I'll put it in.

I think I might still have access to one stashed away, but for most of the time, I've actually used an Emulex controller that is DH-11 compatible, but a single card.
(And that one actually can do 19200, but only have a little more limited modem control.)