[HECnet] VAX/VMS 1.50

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Apr 8 22:09:01 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-08 18:13, Clem Cole wrote:
I'm scratching very stale memory bits here, but Ultrix for the Vax/750
circa 1982/83 might have had a MOP server that did not need a full
DECnet install.     We did not run DEC-Net at one of my jobs because we
had TCP/IP which did everything DECNet could do and worked across
vendors.     But I thought had a couple of LAT devices to support some
dial-up modems and a funky DEC printer that after it booted, spoke TCP
fine, but used MOP to boot.       I was not involved with configuration or
maintaining any of it, so none of the details ever stuck and lend
together in my mind.     But I would think you look at Ultrix around that
time you might find something.

Ultrix definitely got a mop server at some point. If it was around in
1982/83 is something I can't comment much on, however...

My memories of LAT were that it was it's own protocol in the ethernet
sense (i.e. had it's own packet type IIRC I want to say 6003) which was
different from what DECnet used.   It was a very low overhead protocol,
very MIT Chaos-Net like, and much more efficient for terminals and other
low speed devices than TCP.

Correct. LAT is a protocol on ethernet. 0x6004 in fact. 0x6003 is
actually DECnet.

LAT is rather efficient, but it don't have any routing capability.

By the way, MOP, from an ethernet point of view, is neither LAT nor DECnet. MOP is its own protocols on ethernet. 0x6001 and 0x6002. But I believe they were defined as being a part of the DECnet suite anyway.

Clem

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com
<mailto:bob at jfcl.com>> wrote:

        > LAT is _NOT_ part of DECnet.   LAT can be run without DECnet
installed
        > or running.   IIRC, LAT was licensed with VMS.

            Yeah, but most (actually, "all" I think) of the DECservers
      required MOP to
      download them.   How did you do that without DECnet?

            Or was it just an unwritten catch-22 that you had to have a
      DECnet node
      somewhere to boot up your terminal server, even if it wasn't the
      node you
      actually wanted to connect to ?

      Bob