[HECnet] VAX/VMS 1.50

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sat Apr 6 05:46:15 PDT 2013

On 5 Apr 2013, at 21:49, "Cory Smelosky" <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On 04/05/2013 09:40 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

Afternoon all,

I managed to get this to boot in SIMH with minimal effort.   (Started from
VMS 3.x and then installed 1.5 with a bunch of devices disabled)

sim> b rp2

  VAX/VMS Version 1.50 12-APR-1979 09:30

PLEASE ENTER DATE AND TIME (DD-MMM-YYYY   HH:MM)   04-APR-2013 14:39
    OPCOM,   4-APR-2013 14:39:06.22, LOGFILE INITIALIZED, OPERATOR=_OPA0:

$ !
$ ! VAX/VMS system startup - Release 1
$ !
$ SHOW TIME
    4-APR-2013 14:39:06
$ SET NOVERIFY
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, CONSOLE           mounted on _DXA1:
  Login quotas - Interactive limit=64, Current interactive value=0
  SYSTEM             job terminated at   4-APR-2013 14:39:06.49

  Accounting information:
  Buffered I/O count:                   139           Peak working set size:       98
  Direct I/O count:                         38           Peak virtual size:             110
  Page faults:                                 287           Mounted volumes:                     1
  Elapsed CPU time:         0 00:00:00.12     Elapsed time:         0 00:00:00.26
Username: SYSTEM
Password:
              Welcome to VAX/VMS Version 1.50

$ sh network

                              NETWORK UNAVAILABLE

What kind of networking could I get working on this?   Pre-Phase-IV using a
device SIMH doesn't have emulation support for? ;)

I can upload this disk image if anyone wants it.

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff

Hello!
Cory, yet another strange suggestion, what was your original host for
your image? Obviously SIMH for VAX but what was it running on? I was
thinking of your project a while back of running SIMH for VAX on an
RPI itself wearing a not updated release of Linux for it, and then
connected via a serial physical connection to one of your terminals.

My original host was my mac mini...nothing exciting.   It was used for staging.   Would be easy enough to shove it on an rpi though.   Might get accurate speeds.   Once my null modem adapter arrives, I'll be able to do that easily enough.   Delivery is estimated at tomorrow.

The idea was to have one of those serial ports as a console, the other
as a means of connecting the image to the real world.

Not sure if SIMH can attach a serial line card to a physical interface yet or not.   I know for a fact it can attach the console device to one.

For a clue please read "Cuckoo's Egg" by Cliff Stoll, he describes how
his systems were all connected. And from the UCB campus to the
Internet.

I have read that!   So...connect my Pi or a similar system up to my DECserver and connect a modem to it? ;)

If it works, then okay. If not, then blame Dave. Outside of the
rioting drunken Yetis, he needs more things to worry about.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments

I have discovered some interesting things:   It seems this isn't a complete install.   The tape image mentions "NCP.EXE" among other files I don't have   but they aren't being copied.   As far as I can tell, the tape /should/ be a DSC image read from the standalone DSC disk.   Someone will need to dissect the tape image I think. ;)