[HECnet] Algol compiler for VAX/VMS?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Apr 5 20:01:41 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Dennis Boone <drb at msu.edu> wrote:
Did DEC have a compiler as a
product for a while?

None of seem to think so.   As I said, I asked some of the remaining guys from the old Technical Languages team and none of us can remember an Algol for the Vax anywhere inside of DEC.    If some one did one, then it would have been at a University.

One other lead to check is the SAIL/MainSail thread:   SAIL user manual - The Stanford University InfoLab

Sail was popular on the PDP-10's, and I know it the Xidak put it on 68K Microprocessors like the Masscomp, Sun and Apollo boxes.    They must have had a version for Vax, but I never saw it there (I did have on a Masscomp machine at one time).

Clem