[HECnet] Algol compiler for VAX/VMS?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Apr 5 19:37:27 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM, <Paul_Koning at dell.com> wrote:
BTW, please note that Algol 60 and Algol 68 are entirely different languages.   Algol 68 is at least as distant from Algol 60 as Modula-2 is.   The similarity in names is quite misleading.

Amen - which is why if all you want is Algol, I mentioned the awe compiler.    Algol-W was Wirth's attempt at a teaching compiler when he was at Stanford and was originally in PL/360.    It's a very simple language, just does Algol60 plus some small extras.    From that experience he wanted a "better Algol."    He would return to Europe and end up on a CDC box, which is why the original Pascal report is funky 6 bit based language.    Since both Algol-W and Pascal were design to be teaching tools, not production tools, they lack support for things like separate compilation (i.e. modules and libraries).

Try three was Modula and was short lived.    Second systems effect of the Pascal issues, and it was not until Modula 2 that he finally got it down to a reasonable language.    Modula-3 was a tuning of Mod2 in reaction to what we become Ada.

Clem