[HECnet] two dumb RSX questions

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Dec 31 03:52:45 PST 2013

On 2013-12-31 02:53, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 12/27/2013 04:16 AM, goran ahling wrote:
As I remember the SYSGEN/NETGEN task, the controller intended for DECnet
should NOT be taken into SYSGEN at all, but later, at the totally
separate task of performing NETGEN once Your OS. is up and running, it
should be included there. So, no need to redo your SYSGEN when playing
with different Ethernet cards.

    Ahh, excellent.   Thank you.

    I've run into a snag, though.   I'm trying to allow sysgen to
autoconfigure the hardware via ACF, and it hangs on my 11/24 system.
I've tried with both 4.3 and 4.6.   Thinking it might have something to
do with my recently-installed and untested DELUA, I removed it, but I
get the same result.

    So I completed sysgens via manual hardware configuration entry, both
with and without the DELUA.   Both sysgen runs completed successfully,
but the system hangs when I try to boot the new executive.

    The hardware is, as far as I can tell, otherwise fine.   I built the
system up from parts a few weeks ago, and have exercised it with RT-11.
  Everything seems ok.   The baseline RSX system boots just fine.

    I've set up an identically-configured instance of simh, and run
through the same process on that, and it works.

    My next step is to pull it out of the rack and triple check things
like the memory boards' CSRs and such, etc., but I thought I'd ask here
first.

    I last ran an RSX sysgen almost thirty years ago, and I barely
remember it at all...but I'm certain nothing like this happened.   That
was on an 11/34 with RL01s, RL02s, and RK07s.

    Any thoughts?

Others have come with some suggestions. I'll stick my neck out and say that some device isn't working properly. RSX probes and kicks devices at startup (check that they respond to their CSRs, and for some check that they generate interrupts). I don't think RT-11 do that as much. Also, it might be that the device in question isn't even configured in RT-11.

When both autoconfigure fails and a generated system fails, it's one of the controllers that you have genned in that is causing you problems.

Anyway. My first suspicion would be a DMA controller with the NPR wire still in place. But there might be some other controller broken as well.

I do not think you have power problems, although I wouldn't totally rule it out. But I would expect you to see problems with RT-11 as well, if that was the case. Or with the Baseline RSX system.
What you do see is typical of one specific controller blocking you. Unfortunately, with 11M it isn't that easy to spot which one, as the probing of the controller are done automatically right at the start of the booting.
In M+ it is done in a different way, which makes it easier to troubleshoot.